When FOREO stepped into the microcurrent toning devices beauty segment I quickly jumped on the opportunity to try it out and compare with others. So I got myself a BEAR to review.
There is also a smaller version available, BEAR mini, with a lower price point and less intensities available, more for beginners and for treating targeted areas only.
What is microcurrent facial treatment?
The treatment uses low-grade microcurrent to tone the face, lift and firm muscles. Like a workout for your face. Using electricity to promote cell growth, and it is a form of a non-invasive face-lift.
1. Product description
BEAR is a microcurrent facial and neck toning device, which is very popular for maintaining a youthful look of your face and neck area.
Result expected is tighter and brighter skin.
Muscles naturally lose tone and firmness through aging, and these devices have shown to be very popular and effective to mimic skin’s natural processes to prolong the youthful appearance.
FOREO BEAR uses micro-current and the T-Sonic pulsations developed by FOREO, used also in all their other devices. The sonic pulsations help promote better microcirculation and also get the potent ingredients from serum deeper in your skin for better effect.
The device should be used with some kind of serum, gel or cream applied (water-based) and FOREO has it’s own developed for this purpose, and it’s called SERUM SERUM SERUM. It is specially formulated with conductive ingredients such as glycerin, allowing a microcurrent device like BEAR to work seamlessly without any feeling on the skin. I will make a separate review of it later and update with the link.
Price: $299 (prices can be different in other markets).
Always check for best price on their site and if they have any special offers
Intensities: 5 microcurrent intensities
Color: 1 – only comes in Fuchsia color
Charging: Up to 90 uses with one charge. Uses Li-ion battery, charged through USB cable.
App & registration
When you first get the device you need to unlock it and register through the FOREO app. And after that initial setup you don’t need to use it as you can select intensity and start the routine directly from your BEAR. Later can just check from time to time if they made any improvements and additions to the app, like special routines for certain parts of the face and neck or something else.
What is an improvement from other app-connected devices from this brand is that now this Bear device connects automatically when you turn on the app and choose the device to use. Whereas previously you needed to press the device and it was lagging, was sometimes disconnecting. So this is a nice new improvement. Also if you ever lose your BEAR you can find it with the help of the app.
Special important notes
- You always need to use some type of water-based gel, serum or moisturizer every time you use the device to aid with the conductivity. Do not use it without it.
- People who have certain kind of conditions, or for example surgery done on their face or neck, or some skin issues, are advised to first get an approval from their doctor before using or not use. Please read the manual that lists all of those before buying.
- Do not use this device on the chest / breast area, eye area (circular muscle within the orbital rim), mid-line (bone) of neck, or the genitals / groin area
- Device must be fully dry before using
Is FOREO BEAR better than NuFace?
In my opinion FOREO BEAR is better alternative to NuFace and other microcurrent toning devices because of the following key differentiation from their competition (NuFace etc):
- only device that has anti-shock system so there is no electricity shock, which can be quite unpleasant, it measures skin’s resistance and adapts the intensity to eliminate the chance of shock
- wide range of intensities, as you might want to change based on specific area you want to target
- pulsations function in addition to microcurrent which helps increase circulation, eliminate toxins & ease facial tension, resulting in smoother, softer, glowier skin
See my detailed Foreo Bear vs NuFace Trinity comparison post.
Is a microcurrent toning device better than gua sha?
It is more effective because it gives faster and better results with toning of the skin, and all above stated reasons suggest the best choice is the FOREO Bear. See also my results below after just one use.
- BEAR device
- Plastic stand
- Travel pouch
- USB charger
- Short manual – always look up full manuals here
- SERUM SERUM SERUM sample
Fits perfectly in the palm of my hand. And is not too big to glide over the face, you can comfortably side over your forehead, cheeks, jaw.
It is why the BEAR is made for full face routine microcurrent toning, and BEAR mini is for targeted toning only.
Similar to size of LUNA mini 3 I would say.
4. Usage and effect of FOREO BEAR
- Apply your serum, gel or cream (must not skip this)
- Turn on the device, and alternatively open the FOREO App on your smartphone
- Adjust the intensity
- Start the treatment: Glide the device in an upward motion on your cheekbones, around your mouth, on your forehead and jawline, neck.
You can use the FOREO app to go through the device routine, or you can do it through the device as well. No need for an app every time, but I like to be guided. 🙂
How often should I use a microcurrent device?
FOREO BEAR is recommended to be used once a day, either in the morning or evening, maximum three minutes per treatment.
Results of my own testing – first use before and after FOREO BEAR
Even after just one use I could see my wrinkles were much shallower and some smaller ones that were just forming disappeared.
The day after in the morning I also saw that my face looked plumper, more rounded. Like after a really good workout. I tried to remember what I ate and what I did, and then it struck me that the BEAR was the reason behind my sudden glow.
I was so excited I could see the results right away and to be able to show them to you.
The reason I got the device right when it was launched is because I knew they must be upgrading and adding their own twist to it. I’ve been following this company for a while, and they always aim to be one step forward from anyone else, so getting their device meant I will for sure get more value than with the rest.
And I wasn’t wrong. Actually I was skeptic about the microcurrent in general, but even from the first use, as you could see in my before and after image, I could see results. Immediately. Amazing. Rarely you see this happening with devices or any other skincare. So that was a treat.
I am at the right age where first wrinkles have appeared (30+) so having this device I hope will help me keep them at bay, to not get deeper for a longer time. Something similar with what others are doing by doing botox before wrinkles even appear. Prevention.
They really did manage to beat the competition with all the added features that were missing with other devices.
I do think it’s a great buy, despite being on the pricey side, because still all salon treatments cost a ton more. And celebs can afford those every month, but I can’t. This is why I like Foreo because I can use all of these very expensive treatments at home and usually for the one-off cost of just one salon treatment.
I really love that with the device I got both the small stand for my bathroom shelf and a travel pouch. As I really wanted a bag with the UFO and LUNA mini 3 that I own as well. I think that should come with all of their devices. That was a nice bonus.
I give this device 4 out of 5 stars. ****
Three reasons for one star less in my review:
- Because I think pricing could have been better adjusted. They kept the same price as competitors, and I think in order to make people choose FOREO it had to be bit more affordable to stay in the game.
- I wasn’t really impressed with the design, knowing how this Swedish company usually makes the most classy high-end devices in beautiful range of colors and quality materials. To me Bear looked “cheap” with the fuchsia color and the silver metal line. None of the other devices were made with some metal like that in the design. When I got it it did look much better in my hands, the soft silicone felt so soft. But still I think they could have gone without the silver metal circle and more subtle colors like they have with Bear mini (lavander and pink).
- Just one color. It is the first time I have seen Foreo just offer one color option, and considering some other come in 7 really they should have given more options with the Bear too. Now my Foreo devices collection is too colorful, and I really wanted to have all pink and a mint one here and there.
If you want to get one make sure to buy it from FOREO website directly, not to risk getting a fake product. Free shipping globally available through the link HERE.
* I might get a small affiliate commission if you buy through some of my links . This is to support for me to continue providing these thorough reviews to you in the future from any new products they release, so you get the info before you make your buying decision.